It is a sad fact that many children in this day and age, especially due to technological innovations, are getting far removed from the natural environment. We are developing a generation of youngsters that are disconnected with the environment. Days are spent watching television or playing computer games and the ‘outside’ is becoming an alien landscape. We must urgently combat this problem and introduce play in the natural environment which is after all nature’s playground. We must embrace new technology and the modern world but not at the expense and detriment of the natural world, there is time for both.
Here at Yorkshire Explorer we are passionate about Nature and the Natural Environment and want to inspire children and families to explore their local environment and “Get a taste of Nature”.
One million children outdoors
Natural England is at present developing projects to get more children into the outdoors and increase the awareness & understanding of the natural environment. They have a target to get 1 million school children into the outdoors. Can you help..?? Findings from a recent survey suggest that: (Download PDF)
- Children today spend less time in natural places, and enjoy less unsupervised natural play than previous generations
- Most children would like to spend more time playing unsupervised in natural places, and most parents would like them to be able to
- If children are able to experience nature, they care about it and want to conserve it
It is also noted that children who do enjoy the outdoors and play in the natural environment are:
- Happier and more confident
- Physically & Mentally healthier
- Better at developing social skills
- More adaptable to learn new skills and values
- More aware of our impact on the environment
We believe this is vital, by giving opportunities to interact with the natural world our young people will:
Parents: If you are a parent or would like to know more about how to get your children ‘Outdoors’ we have a fantastic range of places to visit and activities to undertake, please contact us for further details. Or if you would like us to help your child’s school get involved – then drop us a line and we will be more than pleased to contact them on your behalf.
Teachers: Can Yorkshire Explorer help you and your students, we can organise group visits and activities for all ages. Use “The Great Outdoors” as your classroom and inspire your children to fire their imagination and creativity, at the same time fill their lungs full of fresh air. Download our PDF of Natural England’s research findings into outdoor play..